About Community College Scheme
The Community College model is a UGC sponsored scheme, to provide low cost and high quality skill-based programmes in higher education. The community college scheme provides a flexible learning opportunity with multiple exit point to the learners irrespective of their age. The scheme provides employable and certifiable skills with necessary general education to Senior Secondary School pass-outs not willing to join existing higher education system.
Industrial Potential of Paonta Sahib and Job-Prospects
- Our College is located at Paonta Sahib, which which has emerged as the fast developing industrial town of Sirmaur district with the setting up of medium and small-scale industries. Besides this, nearby Kala Amb in Sirmour district is also a growing industrial township.
- The National Skill Development Council (NSDC) in its report District wise skill gap study for the State of Himachal Pradesh (2012-17 & 2017-22) has also identified sector-wise skill level requirements during 2012-22 for Sirmaur District of Himachal Pradesh. The report prepared for NSDC by KPMG (KPMG Advisory Services Pvt. Ltd) reveals that the district has huge skill gap requirement. Similarly, there is a pronounced skill-gap in Paonta Sahib, with demand-supply mismatch of skilled workforce.
Selection of Trades for the Courses and approval of UGC under Community College Scheme
- Food Processing Industry: The analysis of the economy of the Sirmaur dsitrict in Himachal Pradesh revealed that except for Paonta Sahib and Kala Amb, the remaining district is predominantly an agrarian economy. The region is known for potatoes, ginger farming and high quality peaches, thereby endowed with huge potential for food processing industry. The adjoining district of Shimla is also a rich potential source of agricultural/ horticultural raw material for the food processing industry. The predominantly organic farming in the area is also an added attraction for the food processing industry. Paonta Sahib has industries in food processing sector including brewery, mineral water, mushroom, dairy, and fruits and vegetable processing units etc.
- Pharmaceuticals: Paonta Sahib is home to a large number of pharmaceutical industriew with big names like Ranbaxy (now Sun Pharma) and Mankind Pharma, and numerous small pharma manufacturers. Besides the pharma-city of Selaqui in Dehradun in the neighbouring state of Uttarakhand is also just about 40 km from Paonta Sahib. It must also be emphasised that Nalagarh-Baddi industrial area in the adjoining Solan distict of Himachal Pradesh has established as a pharma-hub in India. These pharma-hubs provide attractive job opportunities in the pharma sector.
- Based on the above analysis of the structure of industries in and around Paonta Sahib, the college decided to select food processing and pharma as the preferred trades and accordingly in March 2014, the college sent the proposal to UGC for two skill-based courses (i.e. Advance Diploma in Food Processing & Advance diploma in Pharmaceuticals) under community college scheme. The UGC approved both the courses under this scheme to our college vide F. 1-426/2014 (CC).
- The students are admitted in the courses twice a year i.e. January/February and June/July. Students counselling is an integral part of the admission proce
- The seats have been fixed at 50 per semester per course.
- Admissions to these courses are done either through entrance test or on merit basis. But since the public awareness about these programmes is low, the response at present is not very high. Therefore, the criteria for admission adopted at present is first come first serve basis subject to fulfilling the minimum eligibility conditions.
- A separate handbook of information/prospectus is published giving information of such courses.